Skip to main content

Featured

Sketching a Pansy in Coloured Pencils

A few days ago I started working on a small sketch of a pansy in coloured pencils. Today I finished it and I thought I'd share some of the process here, on my blog.    I don't actually have that many pics of the drawing process this time, but I did film the whole thing. :D Soo... there might be a YouTube video documenting it sometime in the future. :) :D Well, at least I hope it will: it depends on many factors (the quality of the footage, the editing process, all the other technical things that go into making a YouTube video which I am not that familiar with, since I haven't made any yet. :) (Well, I did, once, 5 years ago or so, but I have never actually uploaded it anywhere.)   Anyway. It's a tiny sketch (A6). I just wanted to see how the whole thing goes, especially with the filming part, so I decided to try something small first. Plus, I was thinking to use it as a hero image/focal point for one of my art journal spreads afterwards, so there was no point in doing a

A Spread in My Art Journal

To be honest, this must be the first "proper" mixed media art journal spread that I've ever done, ever... I mean, I tried all kinds of stuff, but only now do I have most of the supplies that I, for a long time, been feeling I absolutely need in order to be able to do a "proper" mixed media page in my art journal, at least the way I've been seeing other more experienced mixed media artists doing it in theirs. And since I have just started working on this one, I thought I might also document my experiment, 'cause experiment it is, indeed. As I said, I'm a complete newbie at this.

So, I first sorta prepped my page. I still do not have all the things I am supposed to have :), like the banal gesso, which is still on my wishlist (and I'm trying to reduce my spending on art supplies and use more of the stuff I already have and buy new stuff only when I absolutely need it). I did have medium matte gel though, and since it seemed to me to be basically the same thing (read the labels and they seem to be made out of the same stuff, more or less), minus the white pigment which gives white gesso its colour, I decided to use this one instead. (And the advantage is this stuff is transparent - as opposed to the white gesso - so if you want to keep the colour of the page underneath visible or something like that, this might be the way to do it, I suppose.) So I applied a coat of this stuff on my page and let it dry. (I was using one of those cheap, rough brushes, that creates a texture in the paint applied, so I tried to make my brush strokes all in the same direction, parallel to each other - horizontally, in this case - to get the texture I wanted. I am thinking I might try a crisscross pattern next, to mimic the texture of canvas, maybe, or something similar.)

Then, as I was messing around with some collage-y bits, after cutting out a picture out of a magazine page, I was left with half a page of printed text which I wanted to throw in the recycle bin. But then I thought it would be perfect for some texture on the background of my page. So I tore it into pieces, then crumpled it a bit (kind of useless, since it smoothed itself out when I glued it in...:)), and then I used matte medium to stick it in. I then glued in a couple of bits of packing paper I had in my recycling bin from some package I received at one point (yeah, I took it out of the bin, literally, and used it on my page). (I forgot to photograph this bit, but you can see the kraft paper (it's actually more greyish, than brownish) in the following photo, together with the first layer of paint.)

And then I decided to throw in some paint. These are some acrylic paints I just found in my local office supplies/toy store/bookstore/copy center. They are meant for school kids, so they are cheap (I mean, really cheap), and probably not of one of the best of qualities, but they will have to do for now. From the same place I bought myself some cheap paint brushes also, to use with the acrylics, but also with the matte medium and other kinds of substances of this sort, that I kind of do not want on my precious watercolour brushes (not literally, but you know what I mean)...

I started with a "coat" of medium yellow (that is what is written on the tube, but to me it seems more like a yellow ochre or something). I used it in more of a watercolour-y/gouache-y kind of way, diluting it with some water and applying it to the page with one of my (new, cheapy) flat brushes. I know many people tend to use acrylics mostly directly "out of the tube" (undiluted, I mean), but I don't do that with gouache either (not that I would have to :), so... plus, I wanted a more transparent, washed out look for the colour on my page, so that you can see the collage-y bits in the background underneath.


And now it looks kind of like old paper, or parchment, in an old book or something... Which gives me some ideas... Hmm...

[To be continued...]

Comments

Popular Posts